Rubber yoga mats are durable, grippy, and made of sustainable materials but they definitely have a distinctive smell. It does fade with time, but until then it can be distracting during your practice.
We did some experimenting and have found a way to significantly reduce that rubber smell without the long waiting period.
Here’s what you need:
- Your Rubber Mat
- 1 Tsp Tea Tree Oil (Available at most health food stores)
- A Bathtub
Here’s what to do:
- Put your yoga mat in the bathtub.
- Run water over your mat until it can be fully submerged when you push it down (it will want to float).
- Sprinkle the tea tree oil over the mat.
- Move the mat around in the water, fully submerging it a few times so that the tea tree oil is well distributed.
- Let the mat sit in the water for about half an hour. Don’t worry about weighing the mat down as the oil will settle on top of the water.
- Drain the water and rinse your mat thoroughly under cool water.
- Hang your mat to dry. We found that it took 48 hours for the mat to dry completely.
Ta da! A much less rubber-y smelling mat.
If you have any questions about cleaning or caring for your Halfmoon Yoga Mat please contact Customer Service at 877-731-7099 ext 101 or at firstname.lastname@example.org