Trying to reduce the rubber smell your new Rubber yoga mat is one of our most frequently asked questions.
Rubber yoga mats are durable, grippy, and made of sustainable materials but they definitely have a distinctive smell. It does fade with time, but until then it can be distracting during your practice.
We did some experimenting and have found a way to significantly reduce that rubber smell without the long waiting period.
Here’s what you need:
- Your Rubber Mat
- 1 Tsp Tea Tree Oil (Available at most health food stores)
- A Bathtub
Here’s what to do:
- Put your yoga mat in the bathtub.
- Run water over your mat until it can be fully submerged when you push it down (it will want to float).
- Sprinkle the tea tree oil over the mat.
- Move the mat around in the water, fully submerging it a few times so that the tea tree oil is well distributed.
- Let the mat sit in the water for about half an hour. Don’t worry about weighing the mat down as the oil will settle on top of the water.
- Drain the water and rinse your mat thoroughly under cool water.
- Hang your mat to dry. We found that it took 48 hours for the mat to dry completely.
Ta da! A much less rubber-y smelling mat.
If you have any questions about cleaning or caring for your Halfmoon Yoga Mat please contact Customer Service at 877-731-7099 ext 101 or at email@example.com